Friday, January 24, 2014

Success!

A question I get asked fairly frequently is "how old does my child need to be to start taking piano lessons?"  Typically I would say that a child being able to read, or at least grasp the concept of reading (left to right across a page), is important.  Also, it helps if their hands are large enough to be able to play up to five keys at a time.  

This little cutie isn't quite ready for lessons as his hands are too small, but he sure loves "helping" the big brothers!


Having those two things squared away, you may think, "Perfect!  Now my child can start learning!"  And yes, that is definitely the case.  However, there are a couple of other things to consider.

In years past, I have taught piano and taken on young students - ages 4 to 6 is what I would consider a pretty young student.  I have had success teaching only a handful of these children.  Why?  Well, one of the key ingredients in the success of a young learner is PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT.  Oh yes, just as in most any other learning, parents are a vital part of success in learning music.  When someone asked me to teach their young child I would let them know that really, the only way we would be successful is if they (the parent) were willing to spend two to three hours weekly sitting down one-on-one with their child at the piano.  Some of my piano parents were willing to do that, and their child was incredibly successful and made progress.  Others did not, or at least were not as consistent.  Even my almost eight year old needs me to be available and close by during the majority of his practice time.  If he knows I am listening, or in the room with him, he is more likely to work harder and stay focused.  If I just set a timer (or not) and say, "Start practicing!" and walk out, he's more likely to play around doing glissandos and messing with the pedals.  ;o)  He says, "I like doing that!"  Of course he does.  It's fun!  And I would love to say "go practice"  so I can make dinner/do laundry/help other children with homework/etc. and have him make good progress.  It just doesn't work as well that way.
 




You may say, " I just don't know anything about music!"  To this I say, "Neither does your child!"  Haha!  Go to their lesson with them.  Learn along with them.  Beginning piano is easy and you can pick it up right along with your child.  By the time they get to where you'll have to take lessons too to keep up, they will probably be to a point where you won't have to be at the piano with them all the time.  You will know enough by then to be able to listen and know if they're making mistakes or not (especially if you're still attending their lessons).  

I know that attending lessons (when you could be running to the post office or pharmacy) is hard.  Especially if you have other children.  So, it may not be feasible for you to be with them at lessons, but having an open dialogue with your child's teacher is essential.  Making sure you are involved in the learning and practicing process will greatly increase your child's chance of success.  Again, beginning piano isn't that hard, and you can probably teach yourself - and let your child help you as well.  What fun for them to teach mom!  :o)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for addressing this! I had a friend ask me just this week about a good age to start piano. Thank you, thank you. I told her 3 was too young for some of the reasons you mentioned, but you explained it all so much better. I have shared this with her. When my first child started taking piano, I thought I would learn along with her by practicing what she was practicing. Didn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so happy this was helpful to you! It is something I am asked about a lot. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. I really appreciate this, so very much and agree whole heartedly! I was never successful with my older kids and music, but I didn't realize the importance of my being present. We are very successful with the younger ones, but I am there in the room with them when they practice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura, I gave you a blogging award!

    ReplyDelete